Illinois identity graphic

Types of Student Employment

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

FWS is a need based financial aid award, subsidized by the federal government, that allows you to work and earn money. To be considered, students must complete a FAFSA each academic year. FWS is awarded after eligibility for grants and need based scholarships has been determined. Students must be awarded FWS before they begin working a FWS job.

The Federal Work-Study award amount is the maximum amount a student may earn through Work-Study employment during the corresponding award period. Students must also maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requirements.

FWS Job Opportunities

Federal Work-Study on-campus positions

Many FWS positions are available in departments throughout campus. The type of work will vary by department. Students should review the virtual job board or contact the department directly to find FWS positions.

Federal Work-Study Graduate Assistantships

Graduate students may be eligible for FWS assistantships in certain departments. As a graduate student, you should contact your department regarding availability. Your department will notify OSFA to confirm your eligibility for FWS. Once confirmed, you will receive a revised award letter.

America Reads/America Counts Program Tutors

This program offers tutoring positions. America Reads focuses on helping children in pre-K through the 6th grade read independently and well. America Counts tutors work with children in pre-K through the 8th grade to help improve mathematical and problem-solving skills.

Recruitment takes place at the beginning of each semester. Those who are eligible for at least $1,000 in Federal Work Study funds for the academic year will receive E-Mails letting them know that they can participate in this program for their FWS employment.

OSFA and the College of Education work in cooperation with the Urbana and Champaign school districts to identify, train, and place all America Reads/America Counts tutors. There are also tutoring partnerships with the Don Moyer Boys and Girls Club, the Regional Office of Education, and Orchard Downs.

America Reads/America Counts Program Tutors Graduate Coordinators

Graduate students interested in working with the America Reads/America Counts Program may apply for hourly positions as Graduate Coordinators (GCs) to help coordinate the tutors and to serve as a liaison between a specific school/site location, the school district office, and OSFA.

To be considered for a Graduate Coordinator position with the America Reads/America Counts Program, you must complete the FAFSA and be eligible for need based financial aid. The FWS award, in many instances, will replace need based loan eligibility.

Off-campus Community Service Program

This program places students in employment positions that not only enhance the student's learning, but benefit the community. Most Community Service positions are in off-campus settings that serve the community at large. A limited number of employment positions are available, and many require special skills and/or training.

Opportunities are available to work with community service agencies such as the Community Day Care School, Marilyn Queller Child Care Center, Crisis Nursery, YMCA, or YWCA performing a variety of tasks, ranging from child care to administrative assistance.

University Hourly Student Employment

If you have not been awarded FWS or have chosen not to apply for need based federal financial aid you can still work on campus. Jobs are available in departments throughout campus. If you are eligible, you may work on campus as a University Hourly Student Employee.

Non-University Hourly Student Employment

Non-University job listings are positions available with businesses or private individuals who are not affiliated with the University of Illinois. These positions are paid privately and not by the University.