Illinois identity graphic

Study Abroad

Steps to Apply for Financial Aid While Studying Abroad

Complete the FAFSA

If you plan to study abroad and want to be considered for financial assistance, you will need to complete and submit the FAFSA at

Submit Your Study Abroad Budget to OSFA

Once you are admitted to a study abroad program, you may request to receive financial aid or have your aid package reevaluated by submitting to OSFA a study abroad budget that has been signed by your study abroad program coordinator. This budget will replace your on-campus budget for the semester(s) abroad. For short program excursions (i.e. winter break), the on-campus cost is increased and you are offered additional loan funding only. In most cases, you will already have received an initial award letter for study on the Urbana campus. After your study abroad budget is reviewed, a second award letter reflecting the adjustments in your aid package will be created and a second email notification will be sent to you.

In order to receive financial aid funds for study abroad, you must be registered for study abroad and paying Range IV tuition and fees at the Urbana campus. Grants and scholarships can be affected if you're registered for less than 12 hours (6 hours for the summer term). Please speak to your study abroad program coordinator regarding registration and study abroad charges.

Loans, Grants, Scholarships and Waivers

If your study abroad program cost is less than your on-campus cost of attendance, your aid will be adjusted to the study abroad cost. As a result, some of your gift assistance may be reduced. Studying abroad does not make a student more eligible for gift assistance if the cost is higher than your on-campus cost of attendance. Tuition waivers only cover your actual University of Illinois tuition assessment. It will not cover foreign tuition or study abroad fees. You must pay any additional charges. Some students who would not otherwise be eligible for a need-based loan may become eligible for a Direct Subsidized Loan as a result of the increased costs of studying abroad.

Students who register for three or more credit hours and are eligible for the MAP grant will receive the lesser of their MAP award or Range IV tuition, the general fee and student insurance. Students who register for fewer than three credit hours are not eligible to receive MAP.

Students who receive the Child of Employee Tuition Waiver may elect to suspend the waiver and reserve eligibility for future semester(s) by submitting a written request to OSFA or by emailing

Any increase in financial aid to help meet the additional costs of studying abroad will usually require additional loan money such as a Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized, Direct Parent PLUS, and/or Alternative Educational Loans. Federal loan limits do apply. For more information visit Loans.

Release of Information

OSFA will only discuss general financial aid information with the student and the parent(s) that are listed on the current year FAFSA record.

Power of Attorney

A Power of Attorney agreement is recommended so designated individuals will be able to sign your name to legal documents while you are abroad, in the event it becomes necessary. This can be done in the Student Legal Services Office at the Illini Union.

Receiving Funds

Most of your financial aid funds will be credited directly to your University student account shortly before the first day of classes for the corresponding semester of registration on campus. As aid is credited, Range IV tuition and fees, as well as any study abroad program fees charged to your account, will be deducted from your financial aid proceeds. If you are expecting a refund to cover additional costs of studying abroad, it will be direct deposited into your personal bank account 3-5 business days after your aid has been disbursed.

Direct deposit is a safe, confidential, convenient, and fast way to receive your student refund.  With direct deposit, your financial aid refund is electronically transferred into your bank account.  Authorizing direct deposit of refunds gives you the quickest access to your funds. If you have questions concerning the direct deposit program for student refunds, you may contact University Student Financial Services and Cashier Operations at 217-333-2180 or email them at

Study abroad students receive their aid at the same time as those studying on the University of Illinois campus. If family resources are insufficient to make a necessary payment, many sponsoring institutions accept a copy of a financial aid award letter as proof of the ability to pay later. On this basis, institutions often grant an extension of the due date. If the institution requires additional documentation, please discuss this with a Financial Aid Administrator.

Summer Study Abroad

To apply for summer study abroad financial aid, follow these steps:

  1. Complete the FAFSA if you have not already done so.
  2. Register for the study abroad program.
  3. Complete and submit OSFA Summer Financial Aid Application along with a copy of the study abroad budget of anticipated expenses signed by your study abroad program coordinator.