Study Abroad

Completing the FAFSA

If you plan to study abroad and want to be considered for financial assistance, you still need to complete and submit the FAFSA.

Registering for Study Abroad

To receive financial aid funds, you must be registered for study abroad and paying range III tuition and fees at the Urbana campus. You can also find more information about range III tuition and fees on the Office of the Registrar’s website for your individual program. Grants and scholarships can be affected if you’re registered for less than 12 hours (6 hours for the summer term). Speak to your study abroad program coordinator regarding registration and study abroad charges.

Submitting a Study Abroad Budget

Once you’re admitted to a study abroad program, request to receive financial aid or have your aid package reevaluated by submitting a study abroad budget that’s been signed by your study abroad program coordinator. This will replace your on-campus budget for your time abroad.

For short program excursions (i.e., winter break), the on-campus cost is increased and you’re offered additional loan funding only. In most cases, you will have already received an initial Financial Aid Notification for study on campus. After your study abroad budget is reviewed, an updated Financial Aid Notification reflecting the adjustments in your aid package will be created and an email will be sent to you.

If you’re studying abroad over the summer, you must also complete and submit our Summer Financial Aid Application along with a copy of the study abroad budget.

Loans, Grants, Scholarships, & Waivers

If your study abroad program cost is less than your on-campus cost of attendance, your aid will be adjusted to reflect the study abroad cost. As a result, some of your gift assistance may be reduced.

Studying abroad doesn’t make you more eligible for gift assistance if the cost is higher than your on-campus cost of attendance. Tuition waivers only cover your Illinois tuition assessment; they don’t cover foreign tuition or study abroad fees, and you must pay any additional charges. Some students who otherwise wouldn’t be eligible for a need-based loan may become eligible for a Direct Subsidized Loan as a result of the increased costs of studying abroad.

Any increase in financial aid to help meet the additional costs of studying abroad will usually require additional loan money such as a Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized, Direct Parent PLUS, or Alternative Educational Loans. Federal loan limits do apply. For more information, visit Loans.

Note that students who register for 3 or more credit hours and are eligible for the MAP grant will receive the lesser of their MAP grant or range III tuition, the general fee, and student insurance. Students who register for fewer than 3 credit hours aren’t eligible to receive the MAP grant. Students who receive the Child of Employee Tuition Waiver may elect to suspend the waiver and reserve eligibility for future semesters by submitting a written request to our office or by email.

Release of Information

OSFA will only discuss financial aid information with the student and parent(s) listed on the current year FAFSA.

Power of Attorney

A Power of Attorney agreement is recommended so designated individuals will be able to sign your name to legal documents while you are abroad in the event it becomes necessary. This can be done in the Student Legal Services office at the Illini Union.

Receiving Funds

Most of your financial aid funds will be credited directly to your university student account shortly before the first day of classes for the corresponding semester of registration on campus. As aid is credited, Range III tuition and fees as well as any study abroad program fees charged to your account will be deducted from your financial aid proceeds. If you’re expecting a refund to cover additional costs of studying abroad, it will be directly deposited into your personal bank account 3 to 5 business days after your aid has been disbursed.

Direct deposit is a safe, confidential, convenient, and fast way to receive your student refund. With direct deposit, your financial aid refund is electronically transferred into your bank account. Authorizing direct deposit of refunds gives you the quickest access to your funds. If you have questions concerning the direct deposit program, contact the University Bursar.

Study abroad students receive their aid at the same time as those studying at Illinois. If family resources are insufficient to make a necessary payment, many sponsoring institutions accept a copy of a Financial Aid Notification as proof of your ability to pay later. On this basis, institutions often grant an extension of the due date. If the institution requires additional documentation, discuss this with a Financial Aid Administrator.