The Children of Veterans Tuition Waiver is a four-year consecutive in-state tuition waiver at the University of Illinois given to natural, step-, or legally adopted children of service members who are veterans.
How to Apply
Fill out and submit the Children of Veterans Tuition Waiver Form. The Priority Deadline for 2021 – 2022 is January 5, 2021 and all applicants are notified by February 24, 2021. The application deadline for conflicts not awarded closes October 1, 2021.
- Up to three tuition waivers per county are awarded each year.
- Eligible conflicts include: World War II, the Korean Conflict, the Vietnam Conflict, the Siege of Beirut, the Grenada Conflict, the Southwest Asia Conflict, Operation Enduring Freedom, or Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- Priority consideration is given to applications received by January 5, 2021.
- You must be a permanent resident of the Illinois county from which you apply.
- The tuition waiver will not waive out-of-state tuition.
- The tuition waiver covers 4 consecutive years of in-state tuition for undergraduate, graduate, or professional studies at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign, Chicago, Health Sciences Center, or Springfield).
- Your parent’s service must meet the guidelines listed on the application.
- A new, complete application must be submitted each year for applicants who did not receive the award. Supporting documents (copies of ACT and/or SAT scores and military paperwork) should be included with all applications.
- See the application for more information regarding award criteria and application procedure.
- Recipients who have attended and used the Children of Veterans Waiver for at least one academic term may request a leave of absence and extend the waiver for the academic term in which an absence from the University occurs. A temporary leave of absence may be granted for medical reasons, military service, or for earning funds to defray educational expenses. Students must submit a written request for a leave of absence to the Office of Student Financial Aid at the Urbana-Champaign campus by e-mailing email@example.com prior to the anticipated departure date.