Children of Veterans Tuition Waiver

The Children of Veterans Tuition Waiver is a four-year consecutive in-state tuition waiver at the University of Illinois given to natural, step-, or legally adopted children of service members who are veterans.

How to Apply

Fill out and submit the Children of Veterans Tuition Waiver Form.  The Priority Deadline for 2021 – 2022 is January 5, 2021 and all applicants are notified by February 24, 2021.  The application deadline for conflicts not awarded closes October 1, 2021.

Waiver Limitations

  • Up to three tuition waivers per county are awarded each year.
  • Eligible conflicts include: World War II, the Korean Conflict, the Vietnam Conflict, the Siege of Beirut, the Grenada Conflict, the Southwest Asia Conflict, Operation Enduring Freedom, or Operation Iraqi Freedom.
  • Priority consideration is given to applications received by January 5, 2021.
  • You must be a permanent resident of the Illinois county from which you apply.
  • The tuition waiver will not waive out-of-state tuition.
  • The tuition waiver covers 4 consecutive years of in-state tuition for undergraduate, graduate, or professional studies at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign, Chicago, Health Sciences Center, or Springfield).
  • Your parent’s service must meet the guidelines listed on the application.
  • A new, complete application must be submitted each year for applicants who did not receive the award. Supporting documents (copies of ACT and/or SAT scores and military paperwork) should be included with all applications.
  • See the application for more information regarding award criteria and application procedure.
  • Recipients who have attended and used the Children of Veterans Waiver for at least one academic term may request a leave of absence and extend the waiver for the academic term in which an absence from the University occurs. A temporary leave of absence may be granted for medical reasons, military service, or for earning funds to defray educational expenses. Students must submit a written request for a leave of absence to the Office of Student Financial Aid at the Urbana-Champaign campus by e-mailing prior to the anticipated departure date.