The Children of Veterans Tuition Waiver is a four-year consecutive in-state tuition waiver at the University of Illinois given to natural, step-, or legally adopted children of service members who are veterans.
How to Apply
Fill out and submit the Children of Veterans Tuition Waiver Form. The application form will become available in early November. The Priority Deadline for 2021 – 2022 is January 4, 2021 and all applicants are notified by February 24, 2021. The application deadline for conflicts not awarded closes October 1, 2021.
- Up to three tuition waivers per county are awarded each year.
- Eligible conflicts include: World War II, the Korean Conflict, the Vietnam Conflict, the Siege of Beirut, the Grenada Conflict, the Southwest Asia Conflict, Operation Enduring Freedom, or Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- Priority consideration is given to applications received by January 2.
- You must be a permanent resident of the Illinois county from which you apply.
- The tuition waiver will not waive out-of-state tuition.
- The tuition waiver covers 4 consecutive years of in-state tuition for undergraduate, graduate, or professional studies at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign, Chicago, Health Sciences Center, or Springfield).
- Your parent’s service must meet the guidelines listed on the application.
- A new, complete application must be submitted each year for applicants who did not receive the award. Supporting documents (copies of ACT and/or SAT scores and military paperwork) should be included with all applications.
- See the application for more information regarding award criteria and application procedure.
- Recipients who have attended and used the Children of Veterans Waiver for at least one academic term may request a leave of absence and extend the waiver for the academic term in which an absence from the University occurs. A temporary leave of absence may be granted for medical reasons, military service, or for earning funds to defray educational expenses. Students must submit a written request for a leave of absence to the Office of Student Financial Aid at the Urbana-Champaign campus by e-mailing email@example.com prior to the anticipated departure date.