If you’re interested in seeking a private grant or scholarship, check as many sources as possible.
Note that our office can’t guarantee the availability of such scholarships, nor are we involved in the selection of their recipients. Questions about a specific scholarship should be directed to the individual private scholarship organization.
Where to Find Scholarships
Local scholarships are offered by private companies and organizations, including:
- High school guidance offices
- Local chambers of commerce
- Financial institutions
- Local community groups or clubs
- Educational organizations
- Church groups
- Alumni associations
- Civic organizations
Following is a limited list of private outside scholarships:
- American Indian College Fund
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Association of American Indian Affairs, Inc.
- Astronaut Scholarship Foundation – ASF 2021-2022 Nomination Consideration Form
- Elks National Foundation
- Fred S. Bailey Scholarship Fund
- Gates Millennium Scholars
- George M. Pullman Educational Foundation
- Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- Illinois Sheriffs’ Association
- Illinois Society of Professional Engineers
- Jack Kent Cooke Foundation
- Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans
- Ron Brown Scholar Program
- Steven Phillips Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Wentcher Foundation
To find out about other private outside scholarship opportunities, we encourage you to seek out free scholarship sites such as:
When to Notify Us
Private outside scholarships may reduce any loan or Federal Work-Study awards you receive before they reduce any grant aid.
If a private outside scholarship isn’t listed on your Award Letter, you must report the source and amount by completing our Private Outside Scholarship Form. All scholarships checks should be made payable to the University of Illinois and sent to our office with your full name and University Identification Number (UIN) clearly listed. If you’ve received a check from the private outside scholarship, you must attach the endorsed check to the form when you submit it to us.
If you receive need-based aid, you’ll receive a new Financial Aid Notification once we process the information from the private outside scholarship.